Bachelor of Science in Education – Secondary Education [7-12]
The Secondary Education program is designed for students seeking Texas teaching certification for secondary school classrooms grades 7-12. This program provides you the latest methods, strategies, and tools for teaching in secondary schools. You will learn ways to successfully teach and engage all learners as well as gain in-depth knowledge of your selected content area.
Secondary education majors choose from one of the following content areas: Language & Literacy, Life Science, Physical Science, Social Studies, Physics/Math, and Chemistry.
Earn your master’s degree in five years with the Accelerated Master’s program, giving you an advantage in the classroom.
The BS in Secondary Education will equip you with the skills to teach high school grades 7-12. In addition to education courses, you will take several courses related to your area of emphasis.
Student experiences include both educational theory and practice. You will take a range of education course work including:
- Developmental Psychology of Adolescence
- Study of Exceptional Students
- Assessment and classroom management
- Professional Roles and Responsibilities
- Digital Literacy, Learning and Citizenship in Education
As a secondary education major, you will choose from one of the following content area options:
- Language & Literacy (English/Language Arts, Reading with ESL)
- Life Science
- Physical Science
- Social Studies
- Field-based experiences begin your first semester. You will visit classrooms and observe teachers at local schools to better understand what it takes to be a teacher in diverse educational settings. You will connect with teachers, school administrators, parents and students.
- In your final semester, you will participate in full-time clinical (student) teaching. During this time, you will be fully engaged as a co-teacher in a local public or private school. With the guidance of your mentor teacher and supervisor, you will gain first-hand experience managing a classroom, large and small group teaching, lesson planning and motivating your students. You also have the option to teach abroad for three weeks.