Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program
TCU’s McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program provides underrepresented college students with effective preparation for doctoral studies as stated in the Higher Education Act of 1965.
TCU’s McNair Program provides:
- Research and scholarly opportunities
- Seminars and other educational activities for doctoral studies
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) preparation
- Academic counseling
- Mentoring with faculty, staff, and individuals from the community
- Cultural enhancement opportunities
- University and college campus visits, tours, professional conference, and etc.
- Graduate school application assistance
Two-thirds of the McNair participants must meet income criteria set forth by the Department of Education and be first-generation college students. This means that neither one of the parent or guardian has received a Baccalaureate degree. Additionally, one-third of the participants may be underrepresented in higher education.
Students participating in the program may receive an award that will not exceed the maximum amount determined by the US Department of Education. Students may have the opportunity to present their research at national conferences and symposiums. In addition, students are exposed to cultural and professional events that enhance their knowledge and understanding. All McNair scholars are expected to spend quality time with the program staff and faculty on an individual basis. This serves to increase their confidence academically, personally, culturally and ethically.
- Completed Application
- Two letters of recommendation from at least two TCU faculty or staff person
- Proof of Income: if the student’s status is independent submit a copy of the parent’s tax return, if the student’s status is independent submit a copy of the student’s tax return. The student may in either case present his or her FAFSA Student Aid Report as verification of income.
- Return all materials, completed application, two letters of recommendation, and Student Aid Report to the McNair Program office or by email to email@example.com