Student Research Covers Topics From Here to Peru
The 2017 College of Education Research & Pedagogy Festival put 60 students’ work on display on Wednesday, April 19. Thirty-five posters took festival guests from Fort Worth to Peru to Denmark and back again, covering common themes of technology, effective instruction for all learners and math and science education.
Six winning posters were selected from Undergraduate, Masters and Doctoral categories:
- Katelyn Crow, Senior, Secondary Education, Effective Creative Writing Instruction
- Sydney Heckes, Senior, Secondary Education, Graphing Calculators in the Secondary Mathematics Classroom
- Sarah Clement, Master of Education candidate, Teachers at Different Stages: Perspectives on Teaching Mathematics
- Claire Marie Cunningham, ANSERS Institute Master of Education candidate, The Effects of a Sentence Writing Strategy on Sentence Quality for Elementary Students with Learning Disabilities
- Allison Silveus and Shelley Wu, Andrews Institute Doctorate in Education candidates, TIMSS: Comparing Teachers’ Learning Styles and Physical, Social and Cognitive Elements
- Daniella Biffi, Andrews Institute Doctorate in Education candidate, Digital Ethnography of Artisanal Fishermen in Peru
Many students’ research focused on experience while student teaching or studying educational practices abroad. For the first year, students who taught in five different countries presented posters including lessons learned, with flags on display and food to sample.
Two of last year’s winners were featured in TCU’s first issue of The Boller Review, a journal of undergraduate research. Accelerated Master’s students Sarah Westphal and Karin Cheng discuss their research in video interviews on the publication website.
Students worked with faculty members and had the option to attend two poster preparation workshops. Special thanks to Research Festival & Pedagogy chairs Dr. Don Mills and Dr. Curby Alexander, who organized the event and to TCU student musicians Mehrdad Gholami, Flute and Grace Kimbrough, Violin.
Top Photo: Dr. Curby Alexander, Sydney Heckes, Katelyn Crow, Dean Mary M. Patton
Middle: Dr. Alexander and Dr. Patton with Claire Cunningham and Sarah Clement
Bottom: Dr. Alexander and Dr. Patton with Allison Silveus, Shelley Wu and Daniella Biffi
View more photos on the TCU College of Education Facebook page.